Updated January 5, 2020
BEFORE YOU CHECK THE BOX INDICATING YOUR AGREEMENT TO THESE END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT AND CNA TRAINING COURSE TERMS (THIS “AGREEMENT”), OR OTHERWISE ACKNOWLEDGE YOUR ACCEPTANCE OF THIS AGREEMENT, CAREFULLY READ THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS BELOW. BY ACKNOWLEDGING YOUR ACCEPTANCE, YOU ARE (a) AGREEING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT; AND (b) REPRESENTING THAT YOU ARE 18 YEARS OF AGE OR OF LEGAL AGE TO ENTER INTO THIS AGREEMENT. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, YOU SHOULD IMMEDIATELY CEASE USE OF THE SOFTWARE, AND IF USING THE SOFTWARE ON A MOBILE DEVICE, REMOVE THE SOFTWARE FROM YOUR DEVICE.
1. Introduction and Acceptance. This End User License Agreement and CNA Training Course Terms is a legal agreement between you (“You”) and NextStep Interactive, Inc. (“NextStep” or “Licensor”) regarding the use of Licensor’s software application (whether mobile or online), including any user documentation provided, in electronic form (the “Software”) and participation in NextStep’s CNA Training Course. This Agreement is between you and NextStep and not with any third party, including Apple Inc. (“Apple”) or Google, Inc. (“Google”). If you have downloaded the mobile application version of the Software for use on an Apple device, You and Licensor acknowledge and agree that Apple and its subsidiaries are third-party beneficiaries to this Agreement and, upon your acceptance of this Agreement, Apple will have the right (and will be deemed to have accepted the right) to enforce this license agreement as a third party beneficiary thereof. Licensor is solely responsible for the content of the Software.
2. Grant of License. Subject to your compliance with the terms of this Agreement, Licensor grants to You a limited, non-exclusive, non-transferrable, non-sublicensable, and fully-revocable license to: (a) download and install the mobile application version of the Software or access the online version of the Software on a device you own or otherwise have authorization and control over, (b) use the Software for only non-commercial purposes (the “License”). You may not rent, lease, lend, sell, redistribute or sublicense the Software to any other person or entity. If you have downloaded the Software for use on an Apple device, You agree to only install the Software on an Apple-branded product that You own or control and only as permitted by the Usage Rules set forth in the Apple App Store Terms of Service.
3. Ownership Rights. The license granted hereunder does not constitute a transfer or sale of Licensor’s ownership rights in or to the Software. Except for the express license granted below, Licensor and its suppliers and licensors retain all right, title and interest in and to the Software, including all intellectual property rights therein. The Software is protected by applicable intellectual property laws, including, but not limited to, United States and international copyright, trademark, patent and trade secret laws.
4. License Restrictions. You may not, in part or as a whole, copy, adapt, modify, reproduce, create derivative works based on, or reverse engineer, derive source code from, disassemble, decompile, or otherwise attempt to discover the source code of, the Software, except to the extent required by applicable law. Further, You may not, in connection with your use of the Software,
5. Termination. This Agreement shall terminate upon the earlier of: (i) your failure to comply with any term of this Agreement; (ii) the return, destruction, or deletion of all copies of the Software in your possession; or (iii) termination of this Agreement by You or Licensor. Licensor’s rights and your obligations shall survive the termination of this Agreement. Upon termination of this Agreement, you shall cease use of the Software and if you have installed a mobile application version of the Software on your device, you shall uninstall the Software from your device. When this Agreement is terminated, you may no longer have access to data and other material you have stored in connection with the Software.
6. Updates & Support. You are entitled to download updates to the mobile application version of the Software when and as Licensor publishes them and only via the stores or channels of distribution provided by Apple or Google. Licensor may, at its discretion, add, modify or remove features from the Software at any time with or without notice to you. After termination of this Agreement, You have no further rights to receive any updates without the acquisition of a new license to the Software. You agree that Licensor has no obligation to provide any updates or to continue to provide or enable any particular features or functionality. You should promptly download and install all updates to the mobile application version of the Software that Licensor makes available, and You acknowledge that the mobile application version of the Software or portions thereof may not properly operate should you fail to do so. You further agree that all updates will be deemed part of the Software and be subject to all terms and conditions of this Agreement.
You acknowledge that maintenance and support services for the Software, if any, will be provided by Licensor and that neither Apple nor Google have any obligation whatsoever to furnish any such maintenance or support for the Software.
7. Privacy. By entering into this Agreement, you agree that Licensor may collect, retain and use your personal information, including, but not limited to your name, e-mail address, telephone number(s), and your postal address. The Software may also use technology to collect usage details, device information, and location information. Your personal information will only be used to provide services and product functionality to you. Licensor may also use your personal information for additional communication with you, subject to your decision not to accept such communication from Licensor and subject to applicable laws.
8. Third-Party Materials and Services. The Software may display, include or make available third-party content (including data, information, applications and other products services and/or materials) or provide links to third-party websites or services (“Third-Party Materials”). You acknowledge and agree that Licensor is not responsible for Third-Party Materials, including their accuracy, completeness, timeliness, validity, copyright compliance, legality, decency, quality, or any other aspect thereof. Licensor does not assume and will not have any liability or responsibility to you or any other person or entity for any Third-Party Materials. Third-Party Materials and links thereto are provided solely as a convenience to you and you access and use them entirely at your own risk and subject to such third parties’ terms and conditions.
9. Disclaimer of Warranties. THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED TO YOU “AS IS” AND WITH ALL FAULTS AND DEFECTS WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED UNDER APPLICABLE LAW, LICENSOR, ON ITS OWN BEHALF AND ON BEHALF OF ITS AFFILIATES AND ITS AND THEIR RESPECTIVE LICENSORS AND SERVICE PROVIDERS, EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, WHETHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED, STATUTORY OR OTHERWISE, WITH RESPECT TO THE SOFTWARE, INCLUDING ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT, AND WARRANTIES THAT MAY ARISE OUT OF COURSE OF DEALING, COURSE OF PERFORMANCE, USAGE OR TRADE PRACTICE. WITHOUT LIMITATION TO THE FOREGOING, LICENSOR PROVIDES NO WARRANTY OR UNDERTAKING, AND MAKES NO REPRESENTATION OF ANY KIND THAT THE SOFTWARE WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS, ACHIEVE ANY INTENDED RESULTS, BE COMPATIBLE OR WORK WITH ANY OTHER SOFTWARE, APPLICATIONS, SYSTEMS OR SERVICES, OPERATE WITHOUT INTERRUPTION, MEET ANY PERFORMANCE OR RELIABILITY STANDARDS OR BE ERROR FREE OR THAT ANY ERRORS OR DEFECTS CAN OR WILL BE CORRECTED.
SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OF OR LIMITATIONS ON IMPLIED WARRANTIES OR THE LIMITATIONS ON THE APPLICABLE STATUTORY RIGHTS OF A CONSUMER, SO SOME OR ALL OF THE ABOVE EXCLUSIONS AND LIMITATIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
Notwithstanding the foregoing, if you are using the Software on an Apple device, in the event the Software does not conform to any applicable warranty, you may notify Apple and Apple will refund the purchase price you paid for the Software, if any. To the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, Apple will not have any other warranty obligation whatsoever with respect to the Software, and any other claims, losses, liabilities, damages, costs or expenses attributable to any failure to conform to any warranty will be the sole responsibility of Licensor.
10. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL LICENSOR OR ITS SUPPLIERS, LICENSORS, DISTRIBUTORS, AGENTS, AND REPRESENTATIVES BE LIABLE FOR ANY CONSEQUENTIAL, SPECIAL, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES WHATSOEVER (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY DAMAGES RESULTING FROM THE THEFT, MISAPPROPRIATION, OR USE OF YOUR DATA STORED USING THE SOFTWARE) ARISING OUT OF THE USE OR INABILITY TO USE THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF LICENSOR HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. IN NO EVENT SHALL LICENSOR’S OR ITS SUPPLIERS’, LICENSORS’, DISTRIBUTORS’, AGENTS’, OR REPRESENTATIVES’ AGGREGATE LIABILITY FOR DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THIS AGREEMENT EXCEED THE GREATER OF (A) THE FEES PAID BY YOU TO LICENSOR, OR (B) $100.00. THE FOREGOING EXCLUSIONS AND LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY AND DAMAGES SHALL NOT APPLY TO CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES FOR PERSONAL INJURY OR WHERE EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED BY LAW. THE FOREGOING EXCLUSIONS AND LIMITATIONS WILL APPLY EVEN IF ANY STATED REMEDY FAILS OF ITS ESSENTIAL PURPOSE.
11. Indemnification. You agree to indemnify, defend and hold harmless Licensor and its officers, directors, employees, agents, affiliates, successors and assigns from and against any and all losses, damages, liabilities, deficiencies, claims, actions, judgments, settlements, interest, awards, penalties, fines, costs, or expenses of whatever kind, including reasonable attorneys’ fees, arising from or relating to your use or misuse of the Software or your breach of this Agreement.
Notwithstanding the foregoing, if you are using the Software on an Apple device, You and Licensor acknowledge that Licensor, not Apple, is responsible for addressing any of your claims or claims of any third party relating to the Software or your possession and/or use of the Software, including, but not limited to: (i) product liability claims; (ii) any claim that the Software fails to conform to any applicable legal or regulatory requirement; and (iii) claims arising under consumer protection, privacy, or similar legislation. You and Licensor further acknowledge that, in the event of any third-party claim that the Software or your possession and use of the Software infringes that third party’s intellectual property rights, Licensor, not Apple will, be responsible for the investigation, defense, settlement and discharge of any such intellectual property infringement claim.
12. User Content. The Software may enable you to publish or share publicly with others, content you have generated or obtained from other sources (“User Content”). You retain any and all intellectual property rights you already hold under applicable law in User Content you upload to, publish or share through the Software, subject to the rights, licenses, and other terms of this Agreement, including any underlying rights of others in any User Content that you may use or modify. You grant to Licensor, a non-exclusive, unlimited, worldwide, irrevocable, perpetual, and royalty-free right and license to use, copy, record, distribute, reproduce, disclose, sell, re-sell, sublicense (through multiple levels), modify, adapt, display, publicly perform, transmit, publish, broadcast, translate, make derivative works of, and otherwise exploit in any manner whatsoever, all or any portion of the User Content you upload to, publish or share through the Software, solely for the purpose of providing the services contemplated to be provided to you under this Agreement. Each time you upload, publish or share any User Content, you represent and warrant to Licensor that you are at least the age of majority in the state or jurisdiction in which you reside and are the parent or legal guardian, or have all proper consents from the parent or legal guardian, of any minor who is depicted in or contributed to any User Content you upload, publish or share, and that, in regard to that User Content: (i) you are the sole author and owner of the intellectual property and other rights to the User Content, or you have a lawful right to upload, publish and share the User Content and grant Licensor the right to use it as described in this Section 12, all without any obligation being imposed on Licensor to obtain the consent of any third party and without creating any obligation or liability whatsoever for Licensor; (ii) the User Content is accurate; (iii) the User Content does not and will not infringe any intellectual property or other right of any third party; and (iv) the User Content will not violate this Agreement or cause injury or harm to any person.
13. Export Regulation; Legal Compliance. You agree to abide by U.S. and other applicable export control and import laws and not to transfer the Software to any country or person prohibited under such laws. In no event may the Software, the underlying information and technology, and/or any support services be downloaded or otherwise exported, transferred, or re-exported (i) into (or to a national or resident of) Cuba, North Korea, Iran, Syria, Sudan, the Crimea region of the Ukraine, or any other country or national of a country which the U.S. has embargoes, sanctions, or other export restrictions; or (ii) to any person or entity prohibited by the U.S. Government, including but not limited to persons and entities on the U.S. Treasury Department’s list of Specially Designated Nationals or the U.S. Commerce Department’s Denied Parties List or Entities List. You represent and warrant that: (i) you are not located in a country that is subject to a U.S. Government embargo, or that has been designated by the U.S. Government as a “terrorist supporting” country; and (ii) you are not listed on any U.S. Government list of prohibited or restricted parties.
14. Severability. If any provision of this Agreement is illegal or unenforceable under applicable law, the remainder of the provision will be amended to achieve as closely as possible the effect of the original term and all other provisions of this Agreement will continue in full force and effect.
15. Governing Law. This Agreement is governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of Washington without giving effect to any choice or conflict of law provision or rule. Any legal suit, action or proceeding arising out of or related to this Agreement or the Software shall be instituted exclusively in the federal courts of the United States or the courts of the State of Washington, in each case located in or for King County, Washington. Each party waives any and all objections to the exercise of jurisdiction over it by such courts and to venue in such courts.
16. Waiver. No failure to exercise, and no delay in exercising, on the part of either party, any right or any power hereunder shall operate as a waiver thereof, nor shall any single or partial exercise of any right or power hereunder preclude further exercise of that or any other right hereunder. In the event of a conflict between this Agreement and any applicable purchase or other terms, the terms of this Agreement shall govern.
If you have elected to participate in NextStep’s CNA Training Course, the following terms and conditions will also apply to you.
You understand and agree that enrolling in the NextStep CNA Training Course is not a guarantee of employment and does not constitute an employment agreement.
1. CNA Training Course Parts. The NextStep CNA training course consists of the following course parts:
2. Tuition and NextStep Placement Program Options. You may choose either to pay tuition for the NextStep CNA Training Course or to participate in the NextStep Placement Program and accept a Qualifying Placement with a NextStep employer partner in which case tuition is free of charge with certain conditions as set forth below.
3. Tuition Option
3.1 Tuition Pricing. If you choose to pay tuition, you will be charged as follows:
Pay in Full Option: $995
Payment Plan Option: five (5) bi-weekly payments of $199
Pay in Full Option: $995 Payment
Plan Option: five (5) bi-weekly payments of $199
3.2 Tuition Discounts. From time to time, NextStep may offer tuition discounts.
3.3 Tuition Payment Schedule; Failure to Pay. Payments shall be made as follows:
Pay in Full Option: If you have elected to pay the tuition in full, tuition payment is due and payable anytime between registration for the CNA Training Course and your completion of skillset 4, but before skillset 5. Skillsets after skillset 4 will be locked until payment of the full tuition amount is made.
Payment Plan Option: If you have elected the payment plan option, the initial bi-weekly tuition payment is due on the Payment Commencement Date and the remaining payments are due every 14 calendar days thereafter (in the amounts set forth in Section 3.1, above) . “Payment Commencement Date” means the date you elect the payment plan option. You can elect the payment plan option anytime between registration for the CNA Training Course and completion of skillset 4. Payment of the full tuition amount must be made within 10 weeks following the Payment Commencement Date. If you have not paid the full tuition amount by the time you complete the CNA Training Course, NextStep reserves the right to withhold providing notice of CNA Training Course completion to the state and the state’s delegates until you have paid all overdue amounts in full.
3.4 Notice to Those Choosing to Pay Tuition for CNA Training Course. Do not indicate your acceptance of these CNA Training Course Terms before you read these CNA Training Course Terms or if you do not under these CNA Training Course Terms. You are entitled to a copy of these CNA Training Course Terms and can obtain a copy of the school catalog on the state website landing page. Clicking that you agree indicates that you have reviewed, understand and accept these CNA Training Course Terms. Your address will be collected with your registration information.
4. NextStep Placement Program
4.1 Placement Program Eligibility. If you choose to participate in the NextStep Placement Program, you acknowledge that in order to be eligible to receive a Qualifying Placement (as defined below), you must meet all CNA requirements for the state in which you desire to work as a CNA.
4.2 Acceptance of a Qualified Placement. If you accept a Qualifying Placement, you will not be charged tuition provided that you remain in the Qualifying Placement for at least 90 days from the first day of employment or you terminate your employment for Good Reason. A “Qualifying Placement” means a written proposal for employment with a NextStep approved employer issued by NextStep to you that is:
4.3 Rejection of a Qualifying Placement. If you have chosen to participate in the NextStep Placement Program, but choose to reject a Qualifying Placement or you accept a Qualifying Placement but either do not start employment or choose to resign your employment prior to 90 days from the first day of employment other than for Good Reason (as defined below), you understand and agree that you will be required to pay NextStep tuition for the CNA Training Course. The payment amounts and timing shall be as set forth above for the “Pay in Full Option” unless you expressly request in writing to pay per the terms of the “Payment Plan Option” set forth above. If the Pay in Full Option applies, NextStep will charge the total tuition to the Authorized Credit Card (as described in Section 5). The term “Good Reason” as used herein means (a) acts or omissions of the NextStep approved employer that constitute a violation of any applicable local, state or federal law, rule or regulation; (b) documented hostile or unsafe working conditions, harassment or discrimination; (c) a reduction in your hourly pay; or (d) a reduction in hours worked by you per week made without your agreement. The terms “accept” and “accepting” and/or “reject” and “rejecting” a Qualifying Placement means verbal and/or written indication to NextStep that the learner accepts or rejects a Qualifying Placement
4.4 Failure to Offer Qualified Placement. In the unlikely event that you choose the NextStep Placement Program option but NextStep does not offer a Qualifying Placement within 7 days following course completion, the tuition shall be waived and no payment shall be due.
4.5 Secondary Qualifying Placement. “Secondary Qualifying Placement” means a placement in addition to the initial Qualifying Placement that has been accepted. If you are offered and choose to accept a Secondary Qualifying Placement but do not start employment or remain employed for at least 90 days, you will not incur fees associated with such Secondary Qualifying Placement.
4.6 Changing from NextStep Placement Program to Payment of Tuition Option. If you originally elect to participate in the NextStep Placement Program and then later elect the tuition option, you will be required to pay the tuition amounts as set forth in Section 3.1 of these CNA Training Course Terms.
4.7 Cancellation Fees. Subject to Section 8 of these CNA Training Course Terms, below, NextStep reserves the right to charge a $35 cancellation fee for a cancellation made by you with less than 3 calendar days prior notice or any failure to attend a scheduled lab, clinical, and/or CPR sessions. Cancellation fees will be charged to the Authorized Credit Card.
5. Payment Method. All CNA Training Course participants, including those choosing the NextStep Placement Program, will be required to provide valid credit card (“Authorized Credit Card”) information. All payments due under these CNA Training Course Terms shall be made by Authorized Credit Card. By providing your payment information, you acknowledge and agree that NextStep will retain the payment information and you authorize NextStep to charge your Authorized Credit Card for all payments required by these CNA Training Course Terms. You are responsible for updating and maintaining the accuracy of any payment information that you provide to us.
6. Late Fees; Collections. If NextStep does not receive payment of any amount due hereunder by the due date, we may charge you a late fee on the unpaid balance. In the event we utilize a collection agency or resort to legal action to recover an unpaid balance, you agree to reimburse us for all expenses incurred to recover such unpaid balance, including reasonable attorneys’ fees and costs.
7. Background Check. You must successfully complete a background check that reviews criminal activity in all U.S. states to complete the NextStep CNA Training Course. You will be disqualified from participating in the NextStep Placement Program if you have any of the following offenses on your background screening:
Passing a background screening does not guarantee approval by the state to become a certified nursing assistant or job placement with one of NextStep’s employer partners.
8. Cancellation Of Contract And Refund Policy
8.1 Cancellation Prior to Beginning Training. If you have not opened the first course video (started training), you may cancel your participation in the NextStep Training Course and receive a refund of any tuition paid, less a registration fee as described below.
NextStep may retain an established registration fee equal to ten percent (10%) of the total tuition cost, or one hundred dollars ($100), whichever is less, if you cancel later than the 5th business day (excluding Sundays and holidays) following the day on which you agree to these CNA Training Course Terms or making an initial payment. A registration fee is any fee charged by a school to process student applications and establish a student record system.
8.2 Cancellation After Beginning Training. If you cancel your participation in the NextStep Training Course after you have started training, NextStep may retain the established registration fee, plus a percentage of the total tuition as described below if the student completes:
When calculating refunds, the official date of a student’s termination is the last day of recorded attendance: (a) when Next Step Interactive, Inc. receives notice of the learner’s intention to discontinue the program; (b) when the learner is terminated for violating a published policy which provides for termination; or (c) when a learner, without notice, fails to complete course skills or attend scheduled practice labs for thirty calendar days.
8.3 How To Cancel. You may cancel your participation in the NextStep Training Course, subject to Sections 8.1 and 8.2 above, by submitting a written notice of such cancellation to NextStep at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also provide written notice by U.S. mail, commercial delivery (e.g., UPS or FedEx) or by hand delivery to: 126 SW 148th St., Ste. C100 Box #449, Seattle, WA 98166. A notice sent by email must be time stamped or postmarked no later than midnight of the 5th business day (excluding Sundays and holidays) following the day on which you agree to these CNA Training Course Terms, and only if you have not started training. In the event of a dispute over timely notice, you will have the burden to prove that notice was timely provided.
8.4 Course Cancellation. In the unlikely event that NextStep cancels the NextStep Training Course prior to your completion of the NextStep Training Course, NextStep will refund the total amount paid by you for the NextStep Training Course.
8.5 Payment of Refunds. All refunds due hereunder shall be paid within thirty calendar days following the effective date of termination.
9. UNFAIR BUSINESS PRACTICES. It is an unfair business practice for NextStep Interactive, Inc. to sell, discount, or otherwise transfer this Agreement without the signed written consent of the student and a written statement notifying all parties that the cancellation and refund policy continues to apply.
10. Notice to WA Learners Choosing to Pay Tuition. Washington law requires the following information to be supplied to each student enrolling in a private vocational school licensed under Chapter 28C.10 Revised Code of Washington. NextStep Interactive, Inc. will make learners aware of legal obligations, and debt burdens that he/she takes upon entering a contract for training.
ACKNOWLEDGMENT BY ENROLLEE/LEARNER:
11. How to File a Complaint. By agreeing to these CNA Training Course Terms, you are acknowledging that you are aware of how to file a complaint. (WA law requires private vocational schools to inform learners how to file a complaint.)
12. Grievance: Complaint/Appeal Process. If you have a complaint or concern, you can request an appointment with your RN instructor, the Program Director, or appropriate designee. The request should include your full name, and a statement of concern, including dates, times, and those involved.
The RN instructor, Program Director, or appropriate designee will notify you of the appointment date in which the concerns will be addressed. Every effort will be made to bring an amicable resolution. If necessary, a panel of instructors and/or appropriate NextStep staff will hear the concerns and be asked to assist in bringing a resolution. You will be notified within five business days of the outcome.
ACKNOWLEDGMENT BY ENROLLEE/LEARNER:
Nothing prevents a Washington student from contacting the Workforce Board at 360-709-4600, or completing a complaint form (https://fortress.wa.gov/doh/opinio/s?s=EducationComplaintForm) for the Washington State Department of Health with a complaint. Learners from Colorado or California may contact their state Board of Nursing with a complaint.
13. Contact. You may contact NextStep, Inc. at the email address or address below with questions, comments, and concerns regarding the Software or the NextStep CNA Training Course:
126 SW 148th St.
Suite. C100 Box #449
Seattle, WA 98166